Monday 30 November 2009

It's official. I'm a 13 year old trapped in a 39 year old body.

Okay, let’s get this Twilight stuff out of the way. Having curled my lip in derision at the idea of the series, I am well and truly hooked. I resent any time away from the books. I’m 2/3 of the way through the last one now (there are four). I feel like a silly 13 year old – Lesley beware! And thanks Debbie for making me feel relatively sane.... (yep, I checked that link (I’m Team Edward by the way)). I am terribly drawn to intensity in men – which is ironic for two reasons, 1) Bf is the least intense person ever, he’s very normal, dispassionate (almost to the point of being unemotional mostly (unless drunk. Or angry (see below))), cool-headed and intellectual and 2) I’m not the sort of girl that provokes feeling of intensity in men. To be kind to myself, I would describe myself as the girl-next-door type. Read between those lines, people. Passion and intenstity for me are always going to be things only found in a book (and sometimes that book is Pride and Prejudice – so there, not a total teen-bimbo!). I’ve bought the film now. (Twilight that is, I already have P&P. ) Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I think they must put some sort of brain-cocaine in between the words – when I stop reading after a while, I feel kind of spaced out and dazed! Yep, thoroughly embarrassed....

Food – had an okay-ish weekend. Actually, a nasty quarrel with bf on Saturday night, which carried over to Sunday, left me feeling too ill to eat anything on Sunday. The first thing I ate was a slice of the triple lemon cake I made for my mother for her birthday at 4pm; it actually hurt the roof of my mouth. I’ve had that feeling before when I’ve not eaten because I’m so upset – weird. I did have dinner but it was meagre. I feel less hungry than usual today too so let’s hope my stomach has shrunk a bit – at least some good would have come out of the quarrel that way.

This week’s not looking good though. I’m staying at my mum’s until Wednesday night, with shopping trips tomorrow and Wednesday and lunch and dinner out tomorrow for my mum’s birthday and then I’m out on Thursday night (work – inc a dinner) and Friday (not work – inc cake) so there will be no cycling this week. I should have got up and done the Circuit of Hell this morning but no sleep on Saturday night had left me so tired that I just couldn’t get up. I’ll do it on Thursday and Friday though. Then out Sunday lunchtime, mum over Sunday night, out for walk and Christmas lunch on Monday with bf, mum, the lab-pack and bf’s friend in a nice pub, miles from us!

Definitely going to think of my inner toddler lisping “haribo” meaning ‘horrible’ when I see those jelly fiends next....

3 comments:

Call me Ishmael said...

Hi Peridot, I think we are all 13-year-olds trapped in other bodies! I feel like that, at least, and not just because of the Twilight books. There's something about reading a certain kind of book that leaves you with that spacy, dazed feeling, isn't there? I chalk it up to faaannttassssyyy. A dangerous drug, indeed. Sucks in even the best of us from time to time.

I saw a packet of Haribos yesterday! It was exciting. From a distance they looked like those little jelly bears or gummie bears or whatever they are. Knowing that they can work a strange allure on people, I kept my distance.

Good luck this week at your mum's -- hope she has a great b-day. And sorry about the terrible fight with the bf. Sounds really unpleasant, but at least you didn't binge eat after, which I sometimes used to do when things got really sour in a relationship (even if it was temporary). Hope things have straightened out a bit since then.
Cheers,
Ish

Lesley said...

Ey up Peridot. Sorry to hear about argument with bf - it's always upsetting. Hope you're back on an even keel again and didn't take it to heart too much.

I've taken to saying to myself a little mid/post argument mantra "It's not all about me. It's not my fault. it's just a row. We'll get over it." Which seems to help and make it less personal somehow, more something which happens for a variety of reasons.

You make a great 13 year old!! What fun! Having started Twilight yesterday I then left it at work so have now started the latest Elizabeth George so my Twilight epiphany will have to wait while Inspector Lynley sorts himself out!

Escapism!

Have a good time at your mum's and STAY AWAY FROM THE HARIBOS!!

Lesley x

Call me Ishmael said...

Resistance-Girl! I like it. I'll borrow your super-power from time to time, if that's ok.