Thursday 7 June 2018

Just desserts

I’ve been waiting for my weekly weigh-in to update you, dear Reader.  That would have been yesterday, but a busy day prevented this.  But first…

I did quite well when I went to dinner with my brother and nieces last week.  It was dim sum – my absolute favourite – and I did manage to eat a lot less than I would ordinarily do, and certainly less than I would have liked.  I also managed to walk 7.5 miles that day which must have helped.  BUT, most impressive of all, I left my brother and nieces at the door of Ben and Jerry’s and walked (the long way) back to the tube.

So… (drumroll)… I lost 5.5lbs this week.  I am delighted with this.  This includes putting on 1.25lbs after taking a day off on Saturday (not to go mad, but I wasn’t calorie counting).  

The op is a week on Saturday and I have another weigh in before that (next Wednesday) and, of course, half a week after that.  I am weighing every day – I know that’s not for everyone but it does keep me on the straight and narrow – and whereas I was losing a lb most days, that’s slowing to 0.5lb.  That could be because I’m coming up to *that* time of the month, or because my body (always an enemy) has caught on to me. 

I briefly stopped dreading each encounter with Scales of Doom – I had my record of eating on MFP (and the accompanying ticking off for eating too little – which always amuses me) and I felt fairly confident that SoD would be going in the right direction.

But, I got too cocky.  I scrupulously avoid any sight of myself in mirrors and shiny surfaces.  I have learned to put make up on and dry my hair without really seeing myself.  Yesterday I had my guard down and accidentally caught sight of myself in a lift mirror.  Oh dear, what an absolute state.  It was a stiff lesson in how much I really have to lose.  I hope I’ll get there this time, I really do.  I know I feel MUCH happier than I did on LighterLife, even small amounts of food, even (some) low calorie food is so much better than artificially flavoured dust packets (I may never be able to have another milkshake in my life).

Having said that, today has not been a good one.  It was a charity cake sale at work today.  I have resisted all manner of treats for over a week, but home-made cake is impossible for me to resist and I have had a very small piece of Victoria sponge and a very small brownie.  I’ve counted them in and the rest of my food diary today makes for tragic reading – but that’s the consequences of eating cake.  I’m not sure I regret it – as long as it’s not the start of a slippery slope, and I’m determined it isn’t – then choosing to occasionally eat something off-plan, is a part of life and a skill I need to acquire; I’m far too all or nothing.

And if anyone spots lunches in the usual Pret/Eat/M&S/Leon/Itsu/Crussh sort of places that are about 300 calories, do please let me know. I found an article, quoting several M&S sandwiches for being comfortably under 300 calories and I can’t find them.  At least, I can find what seem to be the sandwiches, but they are all about 100 calories more than the article says.  Grrrr

5 comments:

beth said...

Pret has a small salmon and rice box that is just over 300 calories -- I forget what it's called and they don't all have it. I sometimes buy the Itsu kids meal (it's in a panda!) that has salmon or sometimes chicken -- it's around 250-ish. And they don't all have it, either. I eat both of these (not together) as (big) snacks on days I travel, so I know they exist and will try to have a look to get the exact name of the Pret thing. Itsu also sells a box of five gyoza that are under 250 calories, but I can't imagine that would be that satisfying of a lunch (whereas the other two, esp the Pret box, are relatively filling.)

Peridot said...

Thanks! I do love a gyoza so may well have that occasionally as a treat. I’ve never seen a Panda in there!

I’ll also look out for the salmon and rice thing in Pret.

Thank you!

Px

beth said...

I don't know why Blogger deleted the first graf of my comment, but also: Congratulations on the weight loss (and the dim sum restraint!) Will be thinking of you next week and sending the best. xx

Peridot said...

Thank you x

Lesley said...

I've been dilatory about blog commenting but wanted to say - WELL DONE!! 5.5lbs off is marvellous. There must have been a lot of restraint going on. I hope it helps in the difficult but hopefully productive (not the right word but I couldn't quite find the one I was looking for) weeks to come. Lxx