Friday 22 June 2018

Sick

Day 5 of non stop nausea.  I can bear anything except feeling sick - I think, perhaps don't test this.  I certainly didn't read about this in all the blurb as I do think it would have put me off.  I expected to feel sore, but not sick, sick, sick.  I've probably spoken to all the nurses and there seems to be two schools of thought on this:

1) It is a bad and prolonged reaction to the general anaesthetic.  I kind of subscribe to this one - although it is very prolonged now.  Note to self: no more operations, ever.

2) The stomach is so enflamed by being manhandled that this is causing the nausea.  I can't quite see the cause and effect here.  Sure, I can see that would be sore, but nausea?  Stuff is going down, no matter how enflamed it is, so it's not that liquid is stuck, the wrong side of the band.

Whatever it is, I can't bear it.  I managed to get a phone consultation with a GP yesterday.  She's prescribed anti-nausea drugs and I'm pinning all my hopes on that.  P went to pick them up for me yesterday, only to find they didn't have them in (grrrr) so he's back there today and when he walks through the door this evening I'm going to be getting one in (they dissolve against your gum) straight away.  Apparently they could work in as little as 10-15 mins so please keep your fingers crossed for me.

Otherwise, I have to go back into their clinic and have the very tiny amount of saline in the band, removed to see if that helps.  They said I could go to Birmingham today before 1pm, or Manchester tomorrow.  I can't even wash my face or clean my teeth, my hair is rank, I can't imagine how I could do that.  They're starting to talk about me going to A&E for IV.  I can just imagine how well that would go down - I'm pretty sure that they'd think I'd brought it upon myself and why should they have to clear up the mess.  Avoid.

It's my sister-in-law's 50th birthday tomorrow and I cannot for the life of me see how I'm going to get there.  I missed a family BBQ last weekend so it starts to look anti-social.  My own mother, usually oblivious to anything not concerning her or the dogs, is peppering me with questions: why am I sick?  But what's the cause?  But why? I had to tell her I was unwell as I go to choir with her on a Wednesday- I just said I had a nausea and sickness bug.  I have no intention of telling her the truth, but the incessant 'whys' are more than I can deal with at the moment.

After seven days on water and not much of that, here's my WI for part of that period, from Wednesday when I was on 900 cals to this Wednesday- I lost 10lbs.  I can't recommend it as a diet method - and I'd happily have lost less if I could have done so without the nausea, but I guess it's a silver lining.  Sadly, my  hateful, traitorous body appears to have caught on 'oh ho' it seems to be saying 'think living on a glass of water a day will cause rapid weight loss?  Think again sucker' as it adapts to this new regime and and the weight loss stalls.  I have skipped right through an entire stone bracket like this though and I hope I will soon feel well enough to be elated by that.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

I'm really hoping that P has delivered the medication and it has worked and that you're now blessedly free of nausea. If you are I'm sure you're starting to get a little, tiny bit excited about the fact that you're over a stone down in 3 weeks!!

Big hugs sweets. Hope you feel like yourself very soon. Lxx

Lesley said...

Any improvement in the nausea?? I've had a couple of bouts myself this weekend but they were mild and entirely self inflicted! Lxx

Lesley said...

Nice to see a comment from you, means you're in the land of the living. Hope this heat is not causing you too many problems, the stockings can't be much fun. Lxx

Seren said...

Hi lovely - tq for the blog comment. Hope you’re feeling a bit better???

Sx