Wednesday 10 December 2008

Beware of the rant

I am so fed up. Work is a horrible place to be - most of the time. Since this bloke was over-promoted into being my line manager I have to endure being patronised on a daily basis. He's so puffed up with self-importance that that is almost unbearable but the patronising is even worse. Today our team head made me check off something with him - something I've just plain avoided since he was promoted. He tinkered with it for ages - giving the impression that it needed alot of work and when I looked, every (minor) change was for the worse. Then he swanned off for a freebie lunch - I won't have time to get out at all today.

And we have this ridiculous team Christmas decorating competition. I would so rather not (it too clearly reminds me of school) but given that we pretty much have to, I've come up with a theme for our area and done quite a bit of the execution and organisation. Now most other people have sunk into apathy (except line manager who is Too Important), leaving me to do everything and I just can't be bothered - especially when I'm actually so busy anyway. And it's a thankless task in any case.

And our senior top of office person (who has the social skills of a particularly uninterested inanimate object) has put me in a very difficult position. I was told he couldn't see a document (it's to do with keeping stuff within a very small unit) but my team boss said he had to - and to show him a paper copy. He refused to look at a paper copy, insisting I send it to him elctroncially even though this is what I am absolutely not allowed to do. Then sat on it and picked at it so I missed my deadlines - and of course I can't say why.

I did find out though, that someone else on my team feels the same about being patronised by the LM (line manager). She's at an interview today. I've got one next week. Problem is, I'm feeling so beaten down by it all that I can't perk myself up enough to be positive enough for an interview - even for this one which is a slight backwards step but in a nice field. I just want to go home, crawl into bed and cry. Luckily I'm seeing one of my best friends tonight for supper which I know will cheer me up. Endure, that's the key. Is that possible to do without chocolate? My skirts say it should be, my self esteem says it must be but as usual that message isn't permeating my thick skull. Only the fact that I can't actually leave the office or my desk has stopped me wedging industrial quantities into my greedy maw.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Aaaaargh - bastards!! That what I say. So sorry to hear you're having a crap time. Wish I could help.

Good luck with interview. Dress nice and smile a lot and hopefully that'll help put you into a more positive mood.

((((((((big hug))))))))))

Lesley x

Claire said...

Take action that's my advice! I've had shite bosses as well and endured them, gritted my teeth and ate and ate and ate.

You said in there you couldn't tell anyone why you missed deadlines. Why not?

This was my big realization recently. We're not in school anymore. You don't need to cover up for anyone elses mistakes. They are responsible for themselves and you are respnsible for you.

I'm not suggesting you slag your boss off in the middle of a meeting but the right word in the right ear...maybe his? Why not tackle it with him?

Maybe this doesn't resonate with you but I really think my passivity at work when trouble came along contributed to my weight gain....and I've never been paid enough for that!

ps: I'm not suggesting any of this is easy. It isn't - that's why most people avoid it.