Wednesday 8 August 2018

Of food and family

I nearly posted yesterday – but I thought I’d wait for today for my official WI.  Had I posted yesterday, I’d have been 1lb lighter!  But as it is, I lost 2lbs last week which is a pretty solid loss.  Monday and Tuesday I was an additional lb down – so not quite sure why that suddenly went up this morning.  Hopefully it’s just a random blip.

I was feeling confident about the outlook right up to the bank holiday weekend – no social plans to trip me up.  So much for that!  Tomorrow I’m going out to dinner with both brothers, both sisters-in-law (one awful, one lovely), my mum and all three nieces (just my nephew missing).  Reader: I am dreading it.  I find large groups very daunting and difficult in any case (I was reading about social anxiety and…TICK).  And evil sister-in-law has to be the centre of attention at all times (and I am absolutely certain she suffers from narcissism which is a mental health illness so I do try to bear this in mind).  My brothers, whilst okay by themselves, revert to their teenage selves and just banter back and forth/insult each other for the whole time.  I am trying to focus on my lovely SIL, who my other brother and evil SIL are not very kind to, and my nieces, one of whom I don’t see very often as she lives in Cheshire.

It doesn’t help that it’s miles from me, deep into Kent (okay, not really that deep) – and I have to get back from there which will take a bit under two hours and involve most forms of public transport.  And a £20 taxi for part of it.

I remember the first time P met my family – and we were not so numerous then (although my father was present).  He couldn’t believe that neither my mum nor me had any presence at all. It’s like we weren’t there.  I think my dad said something bitchy about my mother and that was it.  I am not looking forward to tomorrow and it’s particularly annoying that it’s likely to scupper my diet, given how much I really don’t want to go.  I said I would though – and having had a go at getting out of it yesterday, now need to accept my fate.

And, we have P’s son and his girlfriend coming for dinner on Saturday.  P is cooking Thai/Malaysian (this is incredibly delicious).  As it happens, he’s made the beef rendang ahead of time – and has made it painfully spicy (4 tsp of chilli flakes!) so I won’t be able to eat that anyway!  There is also coconut rice, squash and onion curry and Singapore noodles (and the pork char sui in this is particularly tasty).  He usually makes enough to feed a football team, so we could be eating it for several days thereafter!  Although I can help myself to a small portion, I cannot begin to think how I calorie count this.  Luckily, P’s son (T) can probably eat as much as a football team.  When I had my fill, the nurse said to give myself the same size portion as you would an 8 year-old.   I am most familiar with T as an 8 year-old - and he could put away an astonishing amount of food.  He could eat an adult’s portion and a lot of my food too (he’d happily put away 8 roast potatoes, for example).  I don’t think this is what the nurse meant. 

And I’m making strawberry and Pimms trifle for dessert.  Additionally, this is usually a very boozy evening when we meet up with them.  I have only had a glass of wine twice since the op.  I don’t want to drink a load of calories, either.  But nor do I want to be a party pooper.  I think a strategy of sneakiness is required.

10 comments:

Lesley said...

Yes, I think you're meant to pick an abstemious "picky" 8 year old, not a labrador-like dustbin! One of my nieces could hoover up an astonishing amount of food as a child (it's likely that I could too, sigh).

Well done on the 2lbs off. You must surely be seeing/feeling some tangible benefits of being over 2 stone lighter? I know I am.

As for the family meeting, can't help you I'm afraid. We're ALL pretty loud when we get together. I will watch out to see if anyone is overlooked but don't think so. Find a chattee and stick like glue!!

All the best hon and well done!! Lxx

Seren said...

Strawberry and Pimms trifle sounds BLISSFUL.

Well done from me too - two stone is amazing. Hope the family get together went ok. Is evil sister in law the one who had the chav wedding with the tables named after different forms of cheap booze? I remember reading your posts on the subject years ago. Hopefully the occasion provided some comedic blog fodder if nothing else..?

Sx

Lesley said...

*Crosses Booze Themed Table Plan off wedding planner - no Lambrini, Babycham, Magners, Carling, White Lightning, Echo Falls*

Hazel said...

Two stone loss - blimey! Are you not cock-a-hoop? Seems like a terrific result to me! Suspect that future social difficulties on food intake can all be explained away - frankly, in most social settings, the dynamic is such that no-one is watching what you eat apart from you! Keep the conversation going, and make sure that you have a jug of water on the table to keep a full glass you can sip from.

Peridot said...

You’re absolutely right - people are much less observant than I think. But the water thing is another problem! You’re not supposed to drink whilst eating or for half an hour before and 20 mins after

Peridot said...

Ha ha!

Seren said...

:-))

Hazel said...

Hadn't thought of the water thing. You basically need something to fiddle with so that you are distracted from putting food in your mouth!

Arctic Cloudberry said...

Why do you go to these family events when you clearly don't want to and it causes you so much anxiety. Why would you not just see your brothers individually and your nice sis-in-law, and just not go to any gathering that you don't want to go. I do have family :) - so I know it's not quite that simple, but at the same time it kind of is. You're a grown up, you family is your husband and whoever you want to include in your life.

But most importantly well done for the weight loss - I have been following your journey and really hope this operation will make the difference. God knows you are working hard on it! Good luck!

Lesley said...

How's it going? Were the events THAT bad?? Lxx