Monday 20 August 2018

All in the jeans

So, dear Reader, I want your advice.  Well, I always do, but this is very specific question.

Lesley asked about clothes.  I can’t say I’ve seen a massive difference (and I’m having one of my ‘stuck’ periods – which will move in the wrong direction post birthday).  I can fit – just - into a couple of skirts and dresses that I couldn’t before.  Of course this is nice, but I am definitely teetering here – a couple of lbs on and they would be too snug.

The biggest difference is jeans.  I’ve always worn jeans a size smaller than the rest of my clothes (and a good couple of sizes smaller than the comedy bosom allows) – not because I wear cystitis-risking super tight jeans, but for some reason, I always need to go down a size in jeans.  I had a favourite pair of jeans – they were Evans but they were lovely (yes, I’m shocked too).  Pale-ish denim girlfriend fit with navy embroidery on. Much nicer than it sounds.  They’re still okay-ish on the waist but the legs are ridiculously baggy.  Then I bought a pair from Boden to replace them – as far as possible –  in the same dress size.  They’re snug but they fit – I can do them up without having to lie on the bed and they feel okay.  Ditto same size plain, straight jeans from M&S.  Same size from Monsoon?  (I bought a pair with little silver stars on in the sale in a fit of ridiculous optimism)  Can’t even get them on properly, far less do them up.  Even far less breathe in them.  It’s very confusing – and worse, it dilutes the pleasure at getting down a size as there are these hangovers to a larger size.

But my question is this: in terms of packing for holiday, do I pack the Evans jeans?  I won’t be on a strict calorie controlled diet in Canada/US.  I will be trying to eat small portions (even by UK standards, by American standards it will be positively miniscule – and wasteful (middle class guilt)).  But still.  I go in three and a half weeks’ time.  I’m assuming I’ll be roughly this size/weight as I’ll put on over this weekend and then work at getting the weight off again.  I know that there’s a theory that would say taking the smaller jeans (not the Monsoon’s, obviously) would be way of forcing abstention  – but does that really work?  Or is it just a way to ensure misery (and crushing of internal organs!)?  What do you think?

4 comments:

beth said...

I suspect this will be controversial (maybe I just hear BN2 banging on about planning to fail), but I say bring the jeans, *just* for peace of mind. I don't think you will need them, and will cross my fingers you don't, but just in case, there is nothing more miserable than either too-tight jeans OR trying to buy something you already own in a place where you don't know the shops. How about planning to leave them in the US if it turns out you don't need them, and planning some small (nonfood) treat for yourself when that this the case?

Seren said...

I say take the jeans because there is nothing more depressing than being uncomfortable in your clothes and a holiday is not the time to force abstention. I love Beth’s idea about the plan to leave them - a carrot rather than a stick approach is so much nicer.

Sx

Lesley said...

Yep, take 'em, horrible to feel like you don't have anything to wear on hols. I bet it won't be that bad though!! Lxx

Lana Bump said...

Take the jeans. Be comfy on holiday.Use the fact that they're loose as a reminder that you want them to stay loose.