Thursday 26 July 2018

The consequences of a social life

Yesterday was WI day.  It was slightly disappointing as it was higher than it had been – I STS (although for a few days I was 2lbs down).  I saw it leap up after my Wahaca dinner with my friend.  I’d calorie counted in advance, so it ought to have been okay.  In fact, I’d calorie counted for a particular option – and they had the same thing but as a salad (so no wrap and no tortilla chips).  It was new and I couldn’t find a calorie count, but it MUST have been lower.  

And yesterday I ate much more than I would usually at a picnic with a friend.  It was all pretty reasonable stuff – dips with crudites, cold meat, artichoke hearts and cherries – but I can’t remember the last time I felt that full.  I was dreading my morning meeting with SoD.  But I was the same as yesterday so, for that at least, I felt great relief.  I did walk a long way in the sun – I wasn’t going fast, but it was an hour and forty minutes with a very heavy bag.  Maybe that offset the extra food.

The (short lived) 2lb drop over the weekend at least reconciled me to my lunch at Wagamama.  I really, REALLY wanted pad thai, but I stuck to what I’d looked up as the lowest calorie choices, all the ‘starter’ dishes – salad, prawn ‘lollipops’ and chicken skewers.  Then we had my slow cooker chicken tikka masala in the evening, which was a calorie counted dish.  Unfortunately it was not chicken tikka masala: it was a pleasant tomato-y sauce, and I certainly put a lot of spices in it – but none of it came across.  I think it was because the recipe was American – and (no offense to Americans) the Brit idea of a curry is worlds away from the American version.  I went through my Pinterest recipes and deleted any American curries.  

Tomorrow I’m making another recipe in the slow cooker.  I’d really only ever used it for stews in the winter, but it’s excellent in this weather because it doesn’t kick out a fraction of the heat that an oven does.  It’s an American recipe – Hawaiian chicken – so I think it will be okay.  The Jambalaya was pretty good (rice cooking improvisation aside).  Fingers crossed….

Have a lovely weekend, dear Reader, and hope you’re managing to stay cool.The 

1 comment:

Seren said...

I do feel your pain having spent last night drinking Diet Coke and negotiating the menu in a Turkish “bistro” while everyone around me got stuck into gin cocktails and mezze. As much as it would be nice to retreat from the world for a while, I do think that it benefits our mental health to be out and about and around the people we love. And while my natural instinct tends to be to make the food the focus, I’m trying hard to reframe it so that it’s about the company and the food is just incidental.

Sounds like you’re doing well and staying strong - keep it up and the results will follow.

Sx