Friday 6 July 2018

Still blipping not getting anywhere

It’s been longer than I wanted to post.  There is no sinister reason… Well, actually that’s not true.  There are two sinister reasons.

No1: I had my phone stolen on my commute to work on Tuesday and it’s taken a long time to sort out a replacement (not to mention a lot of money).  It was quite an old iphone so I cannot imagine why anyone wanted it (other than me) and it was fingerprint protected so I assume they can’t get into it anyway.  But I was really upset – people are just awful.

No2: you know how when people don’t post because things aren’t going so well with the diet?  *waves madly*.  In the last 10 days I have put ON 7lbs.  Hazel, Seren and Lesley: you are all correct – I hope – that this is a blip in a downwards trajectory….  But… I know I’m only on c600 calories a day so I really, REALLY think it’s unfair. 

I tend to go into a slump when this happens.  Not that I can eat anything solid yet – I’m supposed to be on the puree/soft/mushy food from tomorrow, increasing the solidity (is that even a word?) over the next fortnight.  I’m in fact so well after that interminable bout of nausea, I have started to have soup with bits in (you’re supposed to be having only smooth blended, thin soup for the first two weeks).  As I’m on my third week, normally I’d expect to be on the mush stage but did a bit longer on the liquid phase so I’m kind of easing my way in to it.

I am hungry but am likely to be at least until my first fill at the end of July – and even then they’re going to go at a very cautious pace, given the problems I had initially so it might take some time to feel what they call ‘restriction’, which is when I lose most sensations  of hunger and am satisfied with a very small amount of food.  I’m going to keep calorie counting regardless, aiming for 1000 calories a day.  Once I’m on proper food that is, it would be very difficult to get to 1000 cals on a liquid diet without breaking all the rules (ie I could eat chocolate or ice cream which just slips through…). 

Enjoy the sunshine this weekend – I have a dress rehearsal and then a choir performance which will be all of Saturday stuck in a church.  And the music is terrible so it’s utterly unenjoyable. I hope your weekends are more fun

5 comments:

Lesley said...

Gah!! I totally agree, I would be feeling mucho aggrieved. It WILL come. Keep the faith and keep doing what you're doing. I'm glad you're feeling better now.

PS. Shelagh is very polite and doesn't shake next to you. Minty on the other hand.....

Seren said...

Oh no re your phone - that’s awful! It feels like such a violation. Hope you’re ok.

It IS a blip and the losses WILL start again. Your body is probably still just trying to regain its natural equilibrium after everything it has been through - an operation and a debilitating aftermath. Can’t wait to start hearing reports of renewed losses.

Sx

Hazel said...

Just composed a thoughtful, insightful and helpful post, but it fell foul of the 'don't post on social media when you've come back from the pub' rule, so I've deleted it. :-(

But I'm glad you are over the nausea, and I'm looking forward to reading of your further progress.

Lesley said...

Hope the singing wasn't too painful! I know how sapping it can be singing something you don't like. A choir I was in as a teenager was due to sing Radio 3's Evensong and we had an anthem written for us. Modern, dissonant, atonal. All my least favourite words. And SOOO hard for a second alto! The composer came for our last rehearsal and actually apologised!! Lxx

Peridot said...

I am intrigued...!