Tuesday 1 May 2018

Wearing the trousers

This op will be no piece of cake.  No-one goes into this, thinking it will be easy.  Or if they do, they are a fool.  But there are layers and layers of issues that seem to be rearing their ugly heads.  The latest is an exchange with my unempathetic and brusque boss.  I have just found out that I will have to wear surgical stockings for 10 days to a fortnight after the op.  I am due back in work on the 9th day post op.  It will be the middle of June.  I’m assuming it will be hot – although frankly, who knows.  I wear mostly midi/a-line skirts to work, with thin, knitted knitwear (rather than blouses which never really work over my comedy bosom).  I’m going to have to buy trousers for this 1-5 day period – something I resent on the whole cost-per-wear thing.  And since I look even more like humpty dumpty in trousers.  I wear jeans – a lot.  But they’re different somehow.  I am not even sure if I have sufficient (4) tunics of the blouse variety which will be required to cover my stomach and bum as best as is possible.  It’s a whole shopping trip.  A whole distress-purchase, feeling crappy about myself stressful event.

I let my boss know that I had to wear the stockings and that I’d have to wear trousers  but would make every effort not to be scruffy.  In retrospect, dear Reader, this was stupid.  She is a friend – well, perhaps less than I thought she was once she came to work here – but she’s not the caring, compassionate type.  She is as abrasive as sandpaper and extremely open with her scorn, which can be very funny but is less amusing when you need a bit of moral support.  She is an excellent problem solver – I kind of thought she’d come up with a brilliant wheeze for working around this (say, for instance, saying I could work from home).  Instead she told me briskly that there is no reason not to be smart, pointing out that a colleague of ours always wears trousers.  Yes.  Yes, she does.  She wears them with heels and neat little blouses – because she is very slim.  It’s a whole world away from my own situation.  The boss’s considered opinion is that I should start wearing trousers now, to get used to the idea.  Sigh. 

7 comments:

Lesley said...

Don't feel crap about yourself - the only reason you're buying trousers is because you're taking action and doing something for yourself. Also, don't spend a packet on them for a few days and stuff your boss! If she gives you any grief go off sick with post operative pain!! She sounds like a nightmare tbh. Lxx

beth said...

What Lesley said x 100. Also, also: Have you considered a jumpsuit? I know. I *know.* I can see your side eye from here. Some of them are horrendous. But some are very comfortable and (dare I say) flattering (plus a legit way to wear an elasticated waist)? There are about a squillion everywhere (so some super cheap ones.) Plus you can throw a cardigan over and be done. And -- and! -- you can still wear (if you want) while losing weight.

Peridot said...

If you were anyone but you, I’d think you were insane. Or if you’d seen me, I’d think you were insane. I’m still not convinced you’re not!

My waistbands are always covered - it’s in the public interest. Not so much a muffin top as a multi-tiered wedding cake. You could probably fit one of those bride and groom cake toppers too.

Seren said...

Something v high waisted might work - I’m sure that’s the cut that Trinny and Susannah always used to recommend for apple shapes back before they were all scary and full of Botox. Then you don’t have to worry about wearing a tunic style and can wear something a bit more fitted on top.

Having said that, I am as round as a Weeble and I wear trousers all the time, paying little heed to the fact that I look just like a little Humpty Dumpty so maybe don’t listen to me...(I’m going to go and check out a jumpsuit though!)

Sx

Peridot said...

I’m a pear shape. I think that’s supposed to wear boot leg - but it’s still the issue of covering (as best I can) my stomach and bum.

beth said...

Seriously try the jumpsuit. Jewel tones or a big pattern, and the nicest fabric you can bear (price dependent.) Many of them have forgiving stomach/bum detailing (ruching, draping etc). Please do not dismiss because the first one you try on looks awful -- some of them just ARE. It is them, not you.

Lesley said...

I have never considered a jumpsuit. I think I'm going to do it for a laugh. I may even post pics!!