Saturday 21 August 2021

Heartache

 I thought heartache/break was an emotional concept, but it turns out it’s physical. I have two distinct types - don’t know if this is typical - the most common feels like something heavy and stinging is being poured into my heart. It spreads horizontally and up to my chin. The other is like a pulse of electricity which again starts in my heart and zips down to my toes and up to my head. Both physically hurt. 

This is even harder than I thought. I feel so brittle that a nudge and I’d shatter. But that’s fanciful - all we can do is keep going. P is still here. He has good days or good parts of days. He was hospitalised with jaundice and had a stent put in, but is at home. We’re supposed to be going on holiday next weekend but the one thing I’ve learnt is that you can’t plan. Not even a day ahead - certainly not a week. 

And this is incredibly selfish but one of the things I find most difficult is that when he’s in pain or scared, he gets pretty mean and is quite unpleasant (and personal) to me. I need to just absorb it and let it go, but I find it so hard, I am just wretchedly miserable. And I am scared that this is how I’ll remember him. That wouldn’t be fair and I think would be very painful. 

7 comments:

Seren said...

Yes, heartbreak can be physical. What you’re going through is terrible and I’m always amazed at how the body can manifest emotion physically. I hope you’re getting the support you need?

And you’re not being selfish. It sounds incredibly difficult for both of you. But I don’t think you’ll end up with this your lasting memory because this is the illness, not P.

Sending all sorts of love and hugs. Thank you for posting. x

amy said...

❤️

FionnaD said...

Sending love and strength xxx

amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabby said...

You’re not being selfish at all. I’m so sorry for this awful situation. Take care of yourself too.

amy said...

I hope you can enjoy yourself a little bit today. Happy Birthday!

Arctic Cloudberry said...

Like you said, he is in pain and scared and he is lashing out, and you’re the one who’s there. This happens often, it’s not just P and it doesn’t make him a bad person. But of course it’s really hard for you. Are there any groups that you could join with people in similar situations?

I don’t think you will remember him like this, you will remember all the good things, the good days, the reasons why you love him.

Sending you lots of strength and hope you’ll be able to go on that holiday! You both really deserve it!