Thursday 21 February 2019

Do or diet

So, what’s new.  Not a lot with me.  Scales of Doom are trying its usual headf*ckery – I have a good loss, then, for apparently no reason, more goes back on.  Then I inch s-l-o-w-l-y back down.  Which is not as satisfying as the first time you see that number.  I tend to be in mourning all the way back down (usually limping along at ¼ of a lb at a time).  Still, I’m still doing this on my own – well, with MFP.  The effect of the band has yet to make itself known.  It’s taking a long time, but when has this ever been straightforward for me?  I’m resolutely remaining calm and sanguine.  And determined.  I mean, mostly determined with short intervals of overly dramatic flinging myself about and hissing.  But I am going down – and at some point, I’m going to get the help from the band and that will make life easier (or less hungry, anyway).

MFP has its faults – many of them equating to it really being designed for the US market (but also their determination to push bananas at me – never, NEVER) – but it’s what makes the difference for me.  I can keep a very beady eye on my calories – which I try to keep to c1000  - and certainly under 1000 – ignoring any of the calories I “earn” from exercise, and I tend to be pretty obsessive about this.  But I am interested in a new but similar app – Fine Dieting.  I read about it on the Mail(yes, I know but I have reasons).  It seems to be similar to MFP but, the thing that attracts my interest is that it works out for you as an individual at what calorie level you lose weight (or maintain it).  On the other hand, it seems to work on a weekly calorie allocation which I’m not sure would work for me – I have fears of getting to Sunday and only being able to have half a lettuce leaf or similar.  They do a 7 day trial (you pay for access to the site on a monthly basis) and I’m thinking about it.  Apparently you need a bit of time as it wants a LOT of information (although not, refreshingly enough, your bank details) – but I’m in favour of all the information.  It can only help hone everything down to you as an individual, right?  I’ll keep you posted.

In other news: I consulted the oracle on the issue of my ears.  P says they are not big.  He can be brutally honest, so I’m trying to believe him.  He pointed out that my mother’s are!  I’ve booked to have one (ear) pierced tomorrow but keep getting attacks of cowardice.  My friend had hers done at what seems to be the Rolls Royce of piercers, Maria Tash in Liberty.  I’ve found an alternative piercer that is perhaps more Volvo – but still not a Saturday girl with a piercing gun, shooting a bolt through your ear.  I don’t know why a needle sounds more scary – but apparently this is the only way to do it as it’s not a wodge of metal forcing its way through.  Will I do it?  I think so…  It’s the rolling on it in bed and it hurting that makes me have outbreaks of cowardice.  And, you know, a needle.  Also I had wanted to do it quietly and see if P noticed.  That game is up.  I think it took my friend’s husband about 36 hours – and her tying her hair up.  P didn’t notice when I had 6” of hair cut off thoug,h so I’m pretty confident it would take quite some time – and would probably be from me yelping as I turned over in bed and inadvertently lay on it.  Still, he’s supportive whereas my friend’s husband was … dismissive, I think I’d say.

No comments: